Sophie Mannerheim's Shelter
Sophie Mannerheim’s shelter offers protection for people who are being subjected to violence or to threat of violence. The shelter is managed by The Mannerheim League for Child Welfare’s (MLL) Helsinki association, a politically and religiously non-committed organisation.
The shelter offers 24h secure housing in cases where staying at home may feel too difficult or dangerous due to violence or the threat of it. You can either call or come to the shelter on your own or with children at any time, day or night. The shelter serves clients of all ages, also children under 18 years old. Sophie Mannerheim's shelter provides protection mainly for residents of the larger Metropolitan area, but one can seek for refuge also, if necessary, anywhere from Finland.
The 24h personnel at the shelter provides with mental and practical support in crisis, as well as help, guidance and counceling relating to domestic violence and safety in individuals’ close personal relationships. The shelter seven client rooms.
Do you need a safe place for your pet during your stay in the shelter? We have volunteers who are willing to offer a foster home for your pet while you are getting help from the shelter.
Violence in a relationship can include
- physical violence (pushing, slapping, restriction and/or prevention of movement, hitting, pulling ones hair, strangling, throwing items, injuring with sharp weapons)
- mental violence (belitling, derogation, insulting, controlling, breaking items),
- sexual violence
- financial violence and
- cultural and religious violence.
None of these the above mentioned are part of a good relationship. In most cases violence lasts for years and gets worse when it progresses. Violence is always about controlling the other. Violence in a relationship is often a multidimensional matter. It includes harmful beliefs, such as placing the blame on the victim or allowing the victim to believe that he/she is somehow deserving of the violence committed towards them or has provoked the violator. Violence in a relationship is always wrong and the violator is responsible for his/her own actions.
The shelter helps you to:
- manage the crisis caused by violence
- secure the child
- stop the escalation of violence
- arrange an appointment to the doctor
- submit a crime report
- seek for restraining order
- arrange for housing
- a secure place to stay
- practical assistance, also when dealing outside the shelter and with the authorities
- mental support
- confidential discussion also by calling
0400 600 107
00980 Helsinki (picture)
- Helsinki tel. 0100 0700
- Vantaa & Espoo 0100 7300
- nearest cab 0100 7301
- 050 304 7347
Nollalinja (24h free help line)
- 080 005 005